skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

PermitsPuka Whakaaetanga

A permit is required off council for any work or activity undertaken in the road reserve. A permit is also required for any overweight machinery that needs to be transported over WDC roading network. A permit is a legal document giving you permission to carry out the function you are requesting.

Corridor Access Requests (CARs) and Work Access Permits (WAPs)

Thinking about making adjustments to your property that could potentially impact on motorists and/or pedestrians? Do you need to build a fence, gate, driveway entrance or drain on your property that requires modifying a road or a footpath? Regardless of where you live in the Wairoa District, rural or urban, you will need a permit to carry out this sort of work.

Wairoa residents are urged to note that any work on your property, if it affects the access to a roadway reserve in any way, cannot begin until a Works Access Permit is issued by Council.

All conditions issued by Council must be complied with.

Road reserve or 'road corridor' includes the road carriageway, footpath, berm and grassed area.

It's the area from boundary to boundary - usually the front fence of a property boundary across the road to the opposite property front boundary.

Council owns the road corridor - you need approval to carry out any work within road reserve. Working in the road reserve includes such things as:

  • a driveway - construction or reconstruction, installing culverts
  • drainage work - stormwater, wastewater or water pipes
  • services - power, cables, trenches, cabinets, poles
  • planting a tree
  • Installing a gate/cattlestop
  • Traffic management
  • Felling trees
Vehicle Crossing

Example of a best practice example vehicle crossing for forestry & farming on Cricklewood Rd


How to submit a request

The preferred method is an online application, but other methods are also accepted (see below).

  1. There are two websites you can use to submit your request. Register and follow the instructions on the site.


    All relevant supporting information will need to be submitted via these websites i.e. Traffic Management Plans, site plans, construction drawings etc.

  2. Online submission
    Apply Online

  3. Download, print, fill in and submit the application 'Corridor Access Request'. Please download the form below.

    Submit via e-mail: or apply via the NZTA website NZTA Heavy Vehicle Permit Portal.

Alternatively you can submit the form at the Council offices on Queen Street or post to:



Wairoa District Council
Attention: Operations Engineer – Roads
PO Box 54
Wairoa 4160

You must provide a site plan showing the location and construction details. This method does take longer to process.

The declaration on the form refers to requirements of the utilities code. Visit NZ Utilities Advisory Group website for the code.

What happens to your application

Once you submit your application, allow 20 working days for processing.

  • You cannot start the work until you have approval of your application.
  • Any obstructions to the work such as trees, stormwater drains or power poles, in liaison with the asset owners - are to be removed or relocated at the property owner's expense.
  • Minimum Fee for Corridor Access Requests $220.00+GST (plus potentially other charges for inspection time, complex fees, non-notification fees)

For further information in relation to cattlestops/gates, specifications for upgrading driveways, or other details, please visit the Wairoa District Council website or call Council’s office for a friendly discussion.

What is a temporary road closure?

A temporary road closure is approval from the Council for a road to be closed to traffic and/or pedestrians at a specified location for a specified period.  It ensures that you can complete your work or hold your event to the standards prescribed by the Local Government Act 1974 and 2002 and/or Transport Regulations 1965.

You must obtain consent for a temporary road closure:

  • If a road or part of a road needs to be closed for an event; or
  • If works need to be carried out on or under the road.

Why do I need to apply for a temporary road closure?

You are required under the Local Government Act 1974, sections 11(a) – 11(e), and the Local Government act 2002 and/or Transport Regulations 1965, to request permission to temporarily close a road. In certain situations where the Council owns the land or property affected (e.g. an event in a park), you may not have to apply for a road closure.  Closing the road without an approved traffic management plan and approved temporary road closure application is illegal, and may result in a fine being imposed.

How do I apply for a temporary road closure?

You must apply to Council. If the information you submit is incomplete, or does not provide the level of detail required, there will be delays in processing your application.  If you do not provide sufficient information relating to traffic management during the closure, your application may be rejected.  This information may include (but is not limited to):

  • Details of traffic management contingencies
  • Site closure methodology
  • Site specific signage layout

You must engage a qualified site traffic management supervisor (STMS) to create your traffic management plan.

How long does it take to process an application?

Temporary road closures may be granted either for events or for road works.  It takes considerably longer to meet the requirements of the Local Government act for an event road closure than for road works. In most cases you must publically notify the proposed closure in the local papers for a minimum of 6 weeks before the date of the closure. This means the application must be received by Council at least 8 weeks before the event to meet the advertising deadlines.
The length of time it takes to process a temporary road closure application also depends on the complexity of the application and its associated traffic management plan. If you are requested to provide further information, your application will be placed on hold until you provide the required information.

When can I close the road?

You can only close the road when you receive the following from Council:

  • Your approved temporary road closure application form
  • Your approved traffic management plan
  • Confirmation that you have satisfied all the conditions of the approval

You can only close the road on the dates and times specified, and by the method specified.

What can I expect from the Council as a result of my application?

The content of your application will be reviewed against the criteria set out in the Local Government Act 1974 and 2002 and/or Transport Regulations 1965, and the Code of Practice for Temporary Traffic Management. Once we are satisfied that your application meets the necessary standards, we will begin work on ensuring that your event or road works can proceed in the timeframe and manner you have requested.  As soon as the requirements have been met, we will let you know the outcome of your application.

Overweight Permit for local roads

Vehicles travelling on New Zealand roads must be within the national weight limit (referred to as Class 1 weight limits). Sometimes heavier vehicles need to use the road and in these cases an Overweight Permit must be applied for. The load that these vehicles are carrying must be indivisible.

How to submit a request

The preferred method is an online application, but other methods are also accepted.

  1. Online submission
    Apply online

  2. Download, print, fill in and submit the application 'Overweight Permit Local Roads'. Please download the form below.
    Submit via  e-mail: or apply via the NZTA website NZTA Heavy Vehicle Permit Portal.

Alternatively you can submit the form at the Council offices on Queen Street or post to:

Wairoa District Council
Attention: Operations Engineer – Roads
PO Box 54
Wairoa 4160

Information Sheets - Overweight Permit applications

Please refer to the 'Notes for Applicants' for an explanation of the terms used in the application form.

Please download and attach the 'Extra Axle Data Sheet' to the online application if more than 6 axles is required.

50MAX routes and permits

50MAX gives freight operators an option to carry increased payloads on parts of the network that, while economically important to New Zealand, are unable to carry high productivity motor vehicles (HPMVs). You will have to apply for a 50MAX permit from the NZTA.

50MAX Restricted Bridges

This map shows the locations of the 50 max. restricted bridges within the Wairoa District.

Bridges with weight restrictions

Application Forms

Application for a Vehicle Crossing
Application to Erect Gate/Cattlestop Across Road Reserve

Application to Erect Gate/Cattlestop Across Road Reserve

Completion of Maintenance Notice
Corridor Access Request (CAR) for Roads
Form of Indemnity
Overweight Permit for Local Roads

Overweight Permit for Local Roads

Standard Letter advising Utility Works
Works Completion Notice


For more information please contact the Wairoa District Council.

+64 6 838 7309
97-103 Queen Street, Wairoa 4108
PO Box 54, Wairoa 4160


Wairoa District Council - Copyright © 2024 Wairoa District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Wairoa District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Wairoa District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Wairoa District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Wairoa District Council - / +64 6 838 7309 /