skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

Permits, Food & LicensingPuka whakaaetanga me ngā raihana kai

Council issues a variety of licences that cover a wide range of activities. This section provides information on obtaining certain licences from Wairoa District Council.

Food Registration & Licensing

The Wairoa District Council Environmental Health Officer issues a variety of licences, through regulations and bylaws administered by Council. Registration is required for any place of business involved with the handling and sale or exchange of food by means of a 'koha' . The only exception to this requirement is the operation of bona-fide charitable fundraising events (eg sausage sizzle), which are permitted to offer food for sale without a registration up to 20 times per year. A permit to cover such events is issued free of charge through the council offices.

Health registration under the Food Act 2014 or the Health Act is required for businesses including:

  • Vegetable and Fruit Outlets
  • Food Stalls
  • Butcheries
  • Dairies
  • Grocery Outlets
  • Ancillary Food Premises (e.g. Service Stations)
  • Bakeries
  • Food Suppliers
  • Eating Houses

You require registration under the Food Act 2014 when you are selling food in any way, shape or form, except under certain circumstances when food is offered on stalls for charitable/cultural organisations. Online food sales must be registered to comply with the Act.

Health Licensing Forms

Apply for a Health Licence

To make an application for a new health licence, you need to complete one of the two forms below.

To arrange a pre application meeting with one of our Environmental Health Officers please email or call us on 06 838 7309.

Liquor Licence

You require a liquor licence when you are selling liquor, in any shape, way or form. All liquor licence matters or manager's certificates are processed by the District Licensing Committee, which is chaired by a Commissioner.

Apply for a Liquor Licence

To make an application for a liquor licence, you need to complete an application form for the relevant licence.

To arrange a pre application meeting with one of our Alcohol Licensing Inspectors please email or call us on 06 838 7309.


For more information please contact the Wairoa District Council.

+64 6 838 7309
97-103 Queen Street, Wairoa 4108
PO Box 54, Wairoa 4160


Wairoa District Council - Copyright © 2022 Wairoa District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Wairoa District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Wairoa District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Wairoa District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Wairoa District Council - / +64 6 838 7309 /