National State of Emergency declared: Wednesday 25 March to manage the spread of COVID-19 in New Zealand. HB CDEM Group is providing welfare support for people struggling to access essential services. hbemergency.govt.nz and its Facebook page are up to date with the latest information || visit COVID19.govt.nz or call the free Government Helpline on 0800 779 997 (8am - 1am, 7 days a week) for advice || for COVID19 free health advice and information - call the Healthline team on 0800 358 5453 Find out more »
The Wairoa District Council Archives preserves the documentary history of local government in the Wairoa District of the Hawke’s Bay Region of New Zealand. The archival holdings date from the year 1877, until the current year, and were created and collected by the Wairoa County Council, the Wairoa Borough Council and the present Wairoa District Council.
Records held in the Wairoa District Council Archives include minute books, rate books, correspondence and various registers. The Archives also holds a significant collection of maps dating from the 1865. This collection consists of approximately 15,000 maps; many of which are unique manuscripts.
The County of Wairoa was formed when the Counties Act 1876 abolished the provincial government system and sixty-three counties were created throughout New Zealand. The Archive’s earliest record series, the Wairoa County Council minutes books, date from 4 January 1877 when the inaugural meeting of the council was held in the Wairoa Court House. This series ceased when the Wairoa County Council and the Wairoa Borough Council amalgamated to establish the Wairoa District Council. The final meeting of the County Council occurred 23 September 1986 and the first meeting of the District Council 1 October 1986.
The Borough of Wairoa was constituted in the year 1909, when the Clyde Township was joined to a portion of land from the Wairoa County. As directed by a Government Gazette Notice, dated 23 September 1909, the Wairoa Borough Council first met 25 October 1909, in the Mechanics Institute, in Marine Parade, Wairoa. The final meeting of the Borough Council occurred 29 September 1986, at the Council Chambers in Coronation Square, Wairoa. The preceding Township of Clyde was created a Town District in the year 1883 and subsequently a Clyde Town Board was established. Unfortunately, no records created by the Clyde Town Board have survived.
For more information please contact the Wairoa District Council.
+64 6 838 7309
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Wairoa District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Wairoa District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Wairoa District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Wairoa District Council - www.wairoadc.govt.nz / +64 6 838 7309 / email@example.com