Rubbish and Recycling
Council’s vision for waste management is to manage waste in a cost-effective way that reduces harmful effects & improves efficiency of resource use. Part of this is the way Wairoa District Council delivers waste management services around the district, these services are listed below.
On this page
- General Refuse - $200/tonne
- Clean hardfill - $60/tonne
- Greenwaste - $100/tonne
- Whiteware - $3/item
- Car tyres - $10/item
- Truck tyres - $20/item
Minimum weight 25kg
Burial of Asbestos
- Administration Fee (all Asbestos transactions) - $75
- Weighbridge Charges for out of District Asbestos Waste (per tonne) - $450
All prices include GST
Wairoa District Council provides for waste management through a variety of facilities and services. Council is committed to promoting responsible waste management solutions for the district and is keen to work with groups or individuals to improve their waste management.
Council staff or contractors are happy to talk to schools, community groups, marae or individuals about ways to reduce the amount of waste being produced and better ways to deal with what is produced.
Refuse collections are a user pays service provided by the Wairoa District Council's Waste Management Contractor QRS (06) 838 9030. Official refuse stickers (to be stuck on the rubbish bags) are available from the following locations:
- New World Supermarket
- Age Concern
- Māhia Avenue Dairy
- McLean Street Dairy
- Riverview Dairy
- Mahia Beach Store
- Nuhaka Garage
Please ensure you purchase the correct sticker for your location (Wairoa Township and Frasertown – Urban, all others locations Rural). Prices are as follows:
Rural (Mahia, Nuhaka, Morere, Mahanga, Te Reinga, Ruakituri, Raupunga, Kotemaori, Mohaka):
- 7kg $5.00 each (Pack of 5 $25.00)
- 7kg $3.20 each (pack of 5 $16.00)
Domestic rubbish collections take place along the following routes:
- SH2 from Wairoa to Kotemaori Settlement Road
- SH2 from Wairoa to Morere. The collection point stops at Tunanui Road, Morere
- Tiniroto Road from Frasertown through to Te Reinga and Ruakituri Road
- SH38 from Frasertown to Waihi Road
Please note that any households living off the State Highway may bring their refuse to the State Highway for pick-up.
Tuai Refuse Collection
Collection managed by Ruapani ki Waikaremoana Trust T/A Waikaremoana Contracting.
06 837 3876
Collection takes place every Thursday Morning - we encourage everyone to recycle and to minimise their residual waste.
Green Waste: By Special Arrangement (contact us on one of the numbers above)
Whiteware: By Special Arrangement (contact us on one of the numbers above).
Collection managed by Waipapa Recycling.
(06) 837 6553
- From Wairoa to Māhia (but not including Wairoa), including Nūhaka and Māhanga - collections will be weekly on Mondays.
- Wairoa township collection is done on Tuesdays.
- From Frasertown to Waihi Road (and including Frasertown) - collections will be weekly on Thursdays.
- From Frasertown to Ruakituri (but not including Frasertown), including Te Reinga - collections will be weekly on Thursdays.
- From Wairoa to Kotemaori Settlement Rd (but not including Wairoa), including Mōhaka and Raupunga, collections will be weekly on Fridays.
- Tuai Village including Onepoto village, Waimako papakainga, Tu Kuha papakainga, Piripaua village, SH38 (from Onepoto to Pakowhai Bridge) on Thursdays from 8.30am.
The kerbside recycling collection for the Wairoa Urban area takes place weekly on Wednesdays. Please sort (eg plastics, glass, cardboard) to help with efficiency.
Recycling in the rural areas is on the first and third Sunday of each month and at the following locations:
- Kotemaori – Kotemaori Hall 10.00am-11.30am
- Raupunga – Former fire station 12.00pm–2.00pm
- Mōhaka – Old pub site 2.30–4.30pm
- Ruakituri – Opposite school 9.00am-10.45am (2nd Sunday of the month only)
- Te Reinga – Opposite school 09.00am-10.45pm (2nd Sunday of the month only)
- Nūhaka – QRS metal yard 12.00pm-02.00pm
- Māhia – 376 Kaiwaitau Rd 09.00am-11.30am.
- Tuai - Kokako Rd (intersection with SH38) & Piripaua Rd (Piripaua Power Station intersection with SH38) from 8.30am(every Friday)
RECYCLING IS FREE FOR DOMESTIC USERS
We accept the following:
- CANS - Rinsed aluminium & steel cans
- GLASS - Clean bottles & jars (remove the lids & rinse, no window glass, lightbulbs, glassware or mirrors)
- PAPER - Newspaper, magazines, junk mail, all other clean paper
- CARDBOARD - Flatten all boxes (not milk cartons, drink cartons or tetrapaks)
- PLASTICS - Types 1-7 rigid containers, including clear plastic meat trays (Not Accepted: supermarket shopping bags, bread bags, Polysterene (including black meat trays), no bags, wrap or film)
Commercial customers please contact QRS to discuss your requirements (06) 838-9030.
The Wairoa Landfill is located on Fraser Street and is managed by QRS.
(06) 838 9030
- Eftpos is available at the Wairoa Landfill.
- 11am to 5pm daily (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday), except ANZAC Day when it will be open from 1pm to 5pm and closed 25/26 December, 1 January, 2 January, Good Friday and Easter Sunday.
- Thursdays from 9am – 3pm.
For more information relating to Waste Management, please contact the Wairoa District Council.
+64 6 838 7309