skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

District Plan District Plan

Freedom Camping Freedom Camping

Special Licences

Process for Special Licences applications

You need a Special Licence if you are selling alcohol at an event or charging an entry fee or collecting donations where alcohol is being supplied for free.

Examples include:

  • Wine tastings
  • Private functions (birthdays, weddings)
  • Farmers' markets
  • Festivals
  • Concerts
  • Sporting events
  • Ticketed events
  • Functions in public venue where public access is not restricted

Please note: A special licence can be issued for more than one day if the events are of the same nature 

When you need to apply:

You need to apply for a special licence at least 20 working days before your event. Working days don't include public holidays, weekends and the period from 20 December to 15 January inclusive. 

If you submit your application less than 20 working days before your event, you will need to include a reason why the application was late as a waiver will be required from the District Licensing Committee to lodge the late application.  

Large Events – please contact an Environmental Health Officer prior to lodging the application to discuss. For more information visit

What you need to apply: 

  • Detailed floor plan (to scale, A4 size or larger) of the premises or site showing: 
    • The areas to be used for the sale or supply of alcohol 
    • The areas that are to be designated restricted or supervised 
    • The principal entrance 
    • Location of any food outlets and/or other relevant activities 
    • Highlight the licenced area (everywhere alcohol is to be consumed) 
  • Food and drinks menu(s) including non and low alcoholic beverages
  • A written statement from the owner of the building/property giving their consent for alcohol to be sold or supplied on the premises/property
  • Copies of each managers' certificate for those nominated to manage the sale and/or supply of alcohol
  • Details of the event(s) e.g. program of activities / copy of ticket or invitation / promotional material etc
  • An alcohol management plan (for events over 400 attendees) - see Alcohol Management Plan


Are you planning an event over the Christmas New Year period that will require a Special Licence? If so there are some things you need to know:

  • We must receive your application(s) by 15th November 2024
  • Special Licence applications must be received at least 20 working days (preferably more) before your event date
  • For large events it's recommended you apply well in advance of the 20 working days
  • Late applications won’t be accepted 

Wairoa District Council - Copyright © 2024 Wairoa District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Wairoa District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Wairoa District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Wairoa District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Wairoa District Council - / +64 6 838 7309 /