Rubbish and Recycling
- General Refuse - $185/tonne
- Greenwaste - $60/tonne
- Whiteware - $3/item
- Domestic Recycling - Free
- Commercial Recycling By arrangement with Landfill Operator
All prices include GST
Rubbish and Recycling Education
Wairoa District Council provides for waste management through a variety of facilities and services. Council is committed to promoting responsible waste management solutions for the district and is keen to work with groups or individuals to improve their waste management.
Council staff or contractors are happy to talk to schools, community groups, marae or individuals about ways to reduce the amount of waste being produced and better ways to deal with what is produced.
Tuai Refuse Collection
06 837 3876
Collection takes place every Thursday Morning - we encourage everyone to recycle and to minimise their residual waste.
Green Waste: By Special Arrangement (contact us on one of the numbers above)
Whiteware: By Special Arrangement (contact us on one of the numbers above).
Raupunga/Mohaka/Kotemaori Refuse Collection
Collection managed by Waipapa Recycling.
(06) 837 6553
Refuse collections are a user pays service provided by the Wairoa District Council's Waste Management Contractor QRS (06) 838 9030. Official refuse bags are available from the following locations:
- New World Supermarket
- Age Concern
- Māhia Avenue Dairy
- McLean Street Dairy
- Riverview Dairy
- Mahia Beach Store
- Nuhaka Garage
Refuse bags are available in 4kg or 7kg sizes. Please ensure you purchase the correct bag for your location (Wairoa Township and Frasertown – Urban, all others locations Rural). Prices are as follows:
Rural (Mahia, Nuhaka, Morere, Mahanga, Te Reinga, Ruakituri, Raupunga, Kotemaori, Mohaka):
- 4kg $2.90 each (Pack of 5 $14.50)
- 7kg $5.00 each (Pack of 5 $25.00)
- 4kg $2.30 each (pack of 5 $11.50)
- 7kg $3.20 each (pack of 5 $16.00)
Domestic rubbish collections take place along the following routes:
- SH2 from Wairoa to Kotemaori Settlement Road
- SH2 from Wairoa to Morere. The collection point stops at Tunanui Road, Morere
- Tiniroto Road from Frasertown through to Te Reinga and Ruakituri Road
- SH38 from Frasertown to Waihi Road
Please note that any households living off the State Highway may bring their refuse to the State Highway for pick-up.
Refuse Collection days
- From Wairoa to Māhia (but not including Wairoa), including Nūhaka and Māhanga - collections will be weekly on Mondays.
- Wairoa township collection is done on Tuesdays.
- From Frasertown to Waihi Road (and including Frasertown) - collections will be weekly on Thursdays.
- From Frasertown to Ruakituri (but not including Frasertown), including Te Reinga - collections will be weekly on Thursdays.
- From Wairoa to Kotemaori Settlement Rd (but not including Wairoa), including Mōhaka and Raupunga, collections will be weekly on Fridays.
- Tuai Village including Onepoto village, Waimako papakainga, Tu Kuha papakainga, Piripaua village, SH38 (from Onepoto to Pakowhai Bridge) on Thursdays from 8.30am.
The kerbside recycling collection for the Wairoa Urban area takes place weekly on Wednesdays. Please sort (eg plastics, glass, cardboard) to help with efficiency.
Recycling in the rural areas is on the first and third Sunday of each month and at the following locations:
- Kotemaori – Kotemaori Hall 10.00am-11.30am
- Raupunga – Former fire station 12.00pm–2.00pm
- Mōhaka – Old pub site 2.30–4.30pm
- Ruakituri – Opposite school 9.00am-10.45am (2nd Sunday of the month only)
- Te Reinga – Opposite school 09.00am-10.45pm (2nd Sunday of the month only)
- Nūhaka – QRS metal yard 12.00pm-02.00pm
- Māhia – 376 Kaiwaitau Rd 09.00am-11.30am.
- Tuai - Kokako Rd (intersection with SH38) & Piripaua Rd (Piripaua Power Station intersection with SH38) from 8.30am(every Friday)
RECYCLING IS FREE FOR DOMESTIC USERS
We accept the following:
- CANS - Rinsed aluminium & steel cans
- GLASS - Clean bottles & jars (remove the lids & rinse, no window glass, lightbulbs, glassware or mirrors)
- PAPER - Newspaper, magazines, junk mail, all other clean paper
- CARDBOARD - Flatten all boxes (not milk cartons, drink cartons or tetrapaks)
- PLASTICS - Types 1-7 rigid containers, including clear plastic meat trays (Not Accepted: supermarket shopping bags, bread bags, Polysterene (including black meat trays), no bags, wrap or film)
Commercial customers please contact QRS to discuss your requirements (06) 838-9030.
Wairoa Landfill & Recycling Centre
The Wairoa Landfill is located on Fraser Street and is managed by QRS.
(06) 838 9030
- Eftpos is available at the Wairoa Landfill.
- 11am to 5pm daily (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday), except ANZAC Day when it will be open from 1pm to 5pm and closed 25/26 December, 1 January, 2 January, Good Friday and Easter Sunday.
- Thursdays from 9am – 3pm.
- Charges for general waste are $185 per tonne incl GST. All charges will be rounded to the nearest $0.50. Green waste charges are $60 per tonne incl GST.
For more information relating to Waste Management, please contact the Wairoa District Council.
+64 6 838 7309